All part-time programmes at CIT will run subject to sufficient student numbers. Where a programme cannot proceed, applicants will be contacted and advised on alternative study options.
Students should note that Fees quoted relate to the academic year 2019-2020 only and are subject to change on an annual basis. Except where stated, course fees cover the cost of tuition only.
Course fees must be paid before attending lectures. For more information on Fees, please visit fees/students
Course Fee: €925*
*A discount structure is available for groups: 5% for 2 people, 10% for 3 or more.
Note: Places are limited for this course. Eligible candidates will be considered on a first come first served basis.
This course is a comprehensive and practical introduction to Project Management. The content and delivery is applicable to all industrial sectors (not just technical projects). The content is based on the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK©) which is administered by the Project Management Institute (PMI) in the USA. The PMBOK is a worldwide recognised professional standard for the practice of Project Management.
The course is aimed at those involved in a wide range of projects. Participants come from a broad range of sectors and backgrounds and are typically involved in the planning, control and execution of project work in the broadest sense. The course is applicable to all industrial sectors (not just technical projects). Lectures are combined with case studies, workshops, simulations and practical projects. Course delegates complete various assignments in the class, as project teams and individual assignments. There are also hands-on computer practical sessions which will be used to instruct participants in the key areas of project planning and control. Candidates should have basic computer skills.
One evening per week for 12 weeks, every Thursday, 6.30pm - 9.30pm.
The course focuses on two main areas, primarily learning new tools and techniques to manage projects more effectively. Secondly, to gain increased awareness and learning in the area of ‘soft skills’ (e.g. leadership, team management, motivation, communication, negotiation, etc.) that are essential to effective project management.
Participants are expected to work on a project of their own choosing. Some short course assignments to be submitted to achieve certification.
- Introduction to Project Management and the fundamentals
- Project selection & initiation. Defining the Project Charter and Project Scope
- Project Planning and defining the Work Breakdown Structure(WBS)
- Managing Project Scope and Change in projects
- Project Time Management – Activity Definition, Activity Duration Estimating, Activity Sequencing, Schedule Development, Schedule Control
- Project Scheduling Software – Microsoft Project 2016
- Progress measurement and reporting
- Managing Project Quality and Risk management
- Managing Project Finance and Resources
- Managing People – Team development and the Project Managers Role
- Improving personal effectiveness as a project manager
- Leadership Styles, Communication, Negotiating
- Project Closeout and Evaluation
Certificate in Project Management Techniques (5 ECTS credits at Level 7 on the National Framework of Qualifications), awarded by Cork Institute of Technology.
Note: Successful participants will be eligible to two days exemption from the Diploma in Project Management and a reduced price from €3,850 to €3,250.