- Have successfully completed the Bachelor of Art (Honours) in Counselling or Psychotherapy (minimum H2.2) or an equivalent* professional training in Counselling and Psychotherapy that satisfies the training requirements for professional accreditation.
- Be assessed through interview.
- Two written references are also required for applicants who have not already been on a prior stage of the MTU Level 8 course.
• The Referees should be people who have known you for some substantial time, who are not related to you, and who are in a position to comment objectively on your readiness for the course.
• You will need to print two copies of the reference form.
• References should be returned confidentially by the referees by Friday 1st May 2020. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the references have been submitted by the closing date.
• References should be submitted to Dr Geraldine Sheedy, Block G, Department of Applied Social Studies, Munster Technological University, Bishopstown, Cork by Friday 1st May 2020.
Where an applicant has not completed the Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Counselling or Psychotherapy, equivalence is assessed through the formal Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process used in MTU. This involves applicants preparing a portfolio in which they would demonstrate how they have achieved the learning outcome of the modules in the BA (Honours) in Counselling and Psychotherapy.
National Vetting Bureau
MTU uses the National Vetting Bureau (NVB) to help assess the suitability of all applicants on this programme. It is important to note that participation in or completion of this programme may be affected by subsequent disclosure/discovery. For more information, please click here
Depending upon the outcome of the vetting process, the Institute reserves the following rights:
- to not register a student;
- to remove an existing registered student;
- to delay the student’s practice placement modules.
In all circumstances, it is the applicant student’s responsibility to proactively disclose any convictions/cases pending. The Institute reserves the right to inform any placement agency of the existence of any convictions/cases pending.
- Online application is open for course commencing 8th September 2020.
- Please note that applicants will be required to pay an acceptance fee of €500 online if a place on a course is offered. This fee is deductible from the overall course fee.
Note: You will not be charged for applying for the programme by clicking the 'apply now' button, you are only asked to pay an acceptance fee if a place is offered to you and you wish to accept it.
- Please download and complete this document (which is to be inserted with your online application form):
• Employment details
• Education and Training
• Clinical Experience
• Confidential Personal Statement
• Your application will not be processed unless the above document
– Additional Information – is completed and uploaded to your application.
Two written references are also required for applicants who have not already been on a prior stage of the MTU Level 8 course. The Reference Forms must be printed, completed, and submitted to v by the 1st May.
References should be submitted to Dr Geraldine Sheedy, Block G, Department of Applied Social Studies, MTU, Bishopstown, Cork by Friday 1st May 2020.